March Madness is here! Selection Sunday is is the books and the bracket is set. The 68 top college basketball teams in the country will meet in an NCAA Tournament that will follow the traditional format ending with the Final Four played at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas. I added this page to help Minnesota and Wisconsin residents understand how to bet on March Madness online.
On this page I will outline the following:
- Our recommended betting site for Americans looking to bet on March Madness.
- A brief breakdown of the sports betting regulatory climate in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Examples of the March Madness bets you can make on individual games and futures.
- A 3 step guide you can follow to place your March Madness bets online.
Best March Madness Sportsbook for Americans
|50% up to $1000
BetOnline.ag is our top rated betting site for Americans, including Minnesota and Wisconsin residents.
Sports Betting in Minnesota and Wisconsin
At this time it is not legal to operate a sportsbook in Minnesota. There has been no notable movement towards sports betting regulation in the state, but Minnesota lawmakers are interested in making a push towards regulated sports betting in 2023.
In Wisconsin, sports betting is currently only legal on Oneida Nation land or properties. The Forest County Potawatomi Community tribe is also expected to launch a sportsbook at their Milwaukee casino in the near future. Online sports betting is only allowed on land of tribes that have negotiated sports betting into their state-compacts.
That said, as a Minnesota and Wisconsin residents can place bets through an online sportsbook that is licensed and regulated outside of the United States. BetOnline.ag falls into this category, as it is licensed and regulated in Panama, while accepting American players.
March Madness Betting Options
It is popular to both bet on individual games throughout the NCAA tournament, as well as March Madness futures wagers such as which team will win the entire tournament.
Individual Game Betting
You can bet on each individual game throughout March Madness. Here’s an example of the odds for a college basketball game from BetOnline.ag. I will outline the three popular betting options you see in the screenshot below.
**These odds are from last years Wisconsin vs Colgate first round game.
- Point Spread – In this example Wisconsin is a -7.5 point favorite. They must win the game by 8 or more points for a spread bet on Wisconsin to win. Colgate must either win outright or lose by 7 or fewer points.
- Money Line – This is simply a bet on who will win the game. Wisconsin is the favorite at odds of -330, so you must wager $330 to win $100 betting on Wisconsin. A $100 bet on Colgate would win $275 if they pulled off the upset.
- Over/Under – This is a bet on the total number of points scored in the game by both teams. The oddsmaker sets a total (139 in this example) and you bet on whether the total points will be over or under that amount.
Check out our basketball betting page for a more in depth explanation of these three bets.
March Madness Futures Betting
Popular futures bets for March Madness include Conference Tournament winners, NCAA Tournament winner, Region winners (advance to Final Four), etc.
Here are the odds for the NCAA Tournament winner from BetOnline.ag (odds taken on March 14th):
As you can see Alabama and Houston are the tournament favorites. I only included the teams with odds of 18-1 or shorter odds in this screenshot. To see the full updated odds head to BetOnline.ag open the ‘Basketball’ drop down menu and select ‘NCAAM Futures’.
Bet On NCAA Tournament in Minnesota or Wisconsin
Follow this three step guide to place your March Madness bets online.
Step 1. Open A BetOnline.ag Account
Click the above link and fill, select ‘Join Now’ on the home page and complete the short form to open your account.
Step 2. Deposit
After logging in click on the ‘Deposit’ button. Choose your preferred deposit method, enter your deposit amount, and follow the instructions to fund your account.
BetOnline accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Bitcoin, Ethereum and more.
Step 3. Place Your Bets
It’s time to place your March Madness bets!
- Click ‘Sports’ from the top menu bar at the BetOnline website.
- Open the ‘Basketball’ drop down menu and select ‘NCAA’ or ‘NCAAM Futures’.
- Select the odds of the bet you want to make to add the pick to your Bet Slip.
- Enter your risk amount and click ‘Place Bet’ to lock in your wager.
Ready to bet? Click here to visit BetOnline.ag.