It’s March and that means March Madness is just around the corner. March Madness is one of the most bet on sporting events in the United States each year as American from across the country get in on the action with brackets and bets from the huge selection of games.
On this page I will recommend our top rated betting site for Americans, touch on the regulatory climate for sports betting in both Virginia and Maryland, look at some bets you can make during March Madness and finish up with a 3 step guide you can follow to get your bets placed online.
Best Betting Site for Americans
|50% up to $1000||Review||Visit|
SportsBetting.ag is our top rated betting site for all American residents, including anyone living in Virginia or Maryland.
SportsBetting is a popular and trusted online sportsbook that has served the United States betting market for over a decade. They are primarily focused on the USA betting market, which shows through in their customer service, banking options, promotions and bet offerings.
Sports Betting in Virginia and Maryland
It is not currently legal to operate a sportsbook in either Virginia or Maryland.
That said, if you live in either Virginia or Maryland you can still bet on March Madness through an online betting site that accepts American players, and is licensed and regulated outside of the United States. SportsBetting.ag checks off these requirements.
Virginia lawmakers are currently considering a bill that would allow for sports betting in the sight with oversight from the Virginia Lottery, but not much progress has been made. Learn more about this on our Virginia sports betting page.
Maryland is at a similar point with their sports betting regulation. A bill was introduced in 2018 asking for a task force to be created to study implementing sports betting within the state, but there hasn’t been much movement since.
March Madness Betting Options
The first March Madness betting option we should touch on is betting on the tournament winner. Sportsbooks have odds to win the NCAA Championship available all year long with the odds changing depending on each teams perceived chances at any given time. The odds below were taken on March 4th, 2020:
These are the 13 teams with 20/1 or better odds to win the tournament. At the time of this article Maryland has odds of 20/1 and Virginia has odds of 66/1. To see the update odds head over to SportsBetting.ag, open the ‘Basketball’ drop down menu and select ‘NCAAM Futures’.
There are three common bets that get the majority of action on March Madness basketball games. Here’s a screenshot of what the typical odds for a game will look like during the tournament. I’m using a Virginia Tech vs Clemson game from the regular season:
- Point Spread – In this example Virginia Tech is favored by 1 point. VT must win by 2 or more to cover the spread. If Virginia Tech wins by exactly 1 point then the spread bets would push (be refunded).
- To Win – The middle odds are the “to win” odds, also commonly referred to as the money line. The odds are set based on the implied probability of either team winning the game. In this example a $100 bet on Clemson would win $103, while you would have to risk $123 to win $100 betting on Virginia Tech to win.
- Over/Under – The last popular bet is wagering on the total number of points to be scored in the game (by both teams). The sportsbook sets a “total” and you can bet on whether the total points will go over or under that number.
Bet On March Madness in Maryland or Virginia
Follow these three steps to get your March Madness bets placed online.
Step 1. Join SportsBetting.ag
Click the above link and fill out the short form on the home page to open your account.
Step 2. Deposit Funds
Log into your new account and click on ‘Cashier’. Select your preferred deposit method (Visa, MasterCard, American Exampress, Skrill, bitcoin, etc) and follow the instructions to make your deposit.
**You can also cash out via bank wire or check through the mail.
Step 3. Place Your Bets
You’re now ready to bet on March Madness!
- Click ‘Sports’ from the top menu bar at SportsBetting.ag.
- Open the ‘Basketball’ drop down menu and select ‘NCAA’. *If you’re looking to bet on the tournament winner select ‘NCAAM Futures’.
- Select the bet(s) you want to place and click ‘Straight Bet’ on the Bet Slip.
- Enter your risk amount(s) and click ‘Place my bet’ to confirm.
Here’s a screenshot showing the clicks from an earlier NCAA game this season:
Ready to bet? Click here to visit SportsBetting.ag.